Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Our first days in Haiti

So life in Haiti is a 'little' different to say the LEAST! 

There are 20 girls sharing one bathroom and one shower!
There is NO hot water.
I now share a tent with 3 other girls!

On the day I arrived, I went to a Tent city to worship. I was the only one on my team that went, as everyone else was tired. I laughed, played, danced, held, and hugged kids! Had a blast and even though I couldn't speak the language! A little girl fell asleep in my arms. I had the privilege of praying over people for healing! I LOVE that worshiping God is not bound by language barriers! I rode in the back of a pick up truck sitting on the side of the truck bed!! So much fun!!


Day 2:
Up at 5am to catch a shower, breakfast is at six and remember there's only one bathroom for 20 girls! I had my quiet time and then cleaned up breakfast and joined everyone for worship with Jude! Jude is Haitian and He's amazing! We left to go on an intercession tour of the city, we stopped and picked up a group of Mission Adventures mission group that are staying at a church near by and then headed downtown for our tour! The bus was PACKED!!! On the way, the bus got stuck going up a steep hill and kept stalling and rolling backwards! I'm not sure if we hit the car behind us but they were fairly friendly, I think it might have been a UN worker! First stop was the catholic cathedral which was fairly destroyed in the earthquake! Catholicism is fairly common here but most do not know Jesus as their Lord and savior AND most of the Catholics here practice voodoo too, as does the church! People will come and sleep outside the cathedral for certain number of days and practice voodoo! It was really cool to hear the story and see God's hand in bringing down the church and restoring TRUTH and His church here in Haiti! In 1804 there was a 200 year pact made with the devil, which ended in 2004. We prayed for truth, blessings on the church, deliverance from curses and voodoo.

The next stop, around the corner was the palace, where we prayed for the government and godly leaders.

The last stop was a hospital! We got out here and went in! It was all outside in tents! Many people are afraid to go inside buildings after the earthquake! It was pretty packed and seemed chaotic but people were waiting ever so patiently! We walked through and asked God to show us who to pray for. People are open for prayer! We didn't have many translators for our large group so we were on our own! I prayed for several babies and held one little girl for a while! The kids are so responsive and their faces light up when you smile at them!

We came back to base and had lunch and then some free time! I went over to a tent city with in walking distance where the Mission Adventures team was doing a mini VBS! Elizabeth and I are the only two from out team that went with some of the staff! We met a lady named, Rachelle! Rachelle and her family have been there since the earthquake, they lost everything. There's 14 family members staying in the tent city in two different tents. Eight are in one tent, which we went in to see. There are 6 adults and 2 children sleeping there in a space about the size the walk-in closet I had in Orlando and Virginia! Rachelle worked at a hotel which was destroyed, she made it out of the hotel before it collapsed and home to her family. She was very open to answering questions and talking to us! When I asked her what hope meant to her and if she had any, she just said she didn't have any! I didn't even know what to say! We were able to pray for her and her two sisters. They have a church service at the camp but she does not believe in Jesus even though she goes to the service. Here prayer request was for employment and shoes so she can go to church. The Haitians dress up for church. Afterward we came back and had dinner and played with the orphans. One of the older boys, Rivel invited me into the house for a movie, which was actually worship with Micheal W Smith and then a Tom and Jerry show! The kids knew ALL the songs, and EVERYONE of them sang with ALL they had! One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen! I held one of the kids and one of the little boys in a wheel chair next to me kept holding my hand and giving me the BIGGEST smile!! So PRECIOUS!!!

Day 3-
I got up early for my shower and to wash my clothes! Then sat out on a military cot to have my quiet time! It was a gorgeous day, nice breeze, no vog and sun was shining! Glorious morning and then we got to enjoy a super yummy breakfast with food I could eat! We spent the day on the base hanging out with the orphans.

Meet some of the kids from the orphanage, which is where we are staying.They are SO PRECIOUS!


No comments:

Post a Comment