Friday, July 9, 2010

Week 1 of Outreach - Last Days in the DR

On Saturday night, we went to a worship service at the Director, Omy's house. The week before we arrived, Omy's mom and nephew both passed away. They had a service similar and 13 people decided to follow Jesus and make Him Lord of their lives! We set up chairs in the middle of the street, a microphone and amp and began to worship our Lord! There was about 40-50 people by the time we were done. It was incredible to stand in the streets of another country, with people we didn't know, in a language we didn't know and worship the same God, who loves and cares for each and everyone of us! 

On Sunday, we rested in the morning and then went to Santiago in the afternoon. It was hot and everyone was a little cranky because there was 16 people crammed in a 15 passenger van for a two hour ride (each way) with minimal air conditioning! It amazes me how entitled we 'think' we are (myself included), when really we deserve to be rotting in the fires of hell! We stopped at a convenience store along the way, where I got a picture of Andres. He was guarding a house behind the store, hence the machine gun! :)  He was really friendly! :) We stopped and visited several slum areas. I had been praying for God to give us His eyes and Heart for people! In the mist of garbage and extreme poverty, all I saw was the beauty of God's people! It simply amazed me! I was so entrawled by the beauty I saw and the joy in people, I forgot to offer prayer and share the Gospel with people I met! :( At the end of the day we went to see a group of King's Kids perform. Many of them were raising money to go on DTS's around the world. They danced, sang, shared testimonies and a message from God's Word! It was the BEST day!! We arrived back in Santo Domingo after midnight. I almost forgot, we stopped to ask directions on the side of the road where they were slaughtering goats and had them hanging from hooks, eye balls staring at you and tongue sticking out of the dead goats! Wish I had a picture to share....I'll see if I could snag one from one of my team mates.








Monday was a chill day for us and then we went shopping at Carrefour, a local store similar to Walmart, to get stuff for Haiti. In the afternoon we worked on testimonies and teachings.


I spent most of Tuesday sleeping due to an allergic reaction to something I ate! By dinner time, I was up and able to enjoy time with my team. We were supposed to go back to Omy's house and our team was going to share testimonies, a message and lead worship in the streets, but God had different plans. It was pouring so we stayed in and shared them with our group. I'm not quite sure what happened, but God did something in each of our hearts and in our group. I can't even explain it, all I can say is I am SO THANKFUL to live for a God that loves us SOOOOO much! It was Elizabeth's 19 birthday so we had a little celebration for us and then Denine taught us a dance.


Wednesday afternoon we went to a local university and interviewed students for the Eyes of Hope movie we are working on. My group interviewed 4 students, 2 were followers of Jesus. We shared the Gospel with the other 2. We spent an hour talking and praying with Randi, but he just wasn't ready to make the commitment, he was afraid of making a decision and changing his mind later. You could tell he wanted it but something was holding him back! Please pray that the seed we planted will grown and he is able to give his life to Jesus. Guadalupe was a different story, she 'knew' the truth, but wanted to do things on her own. She was so smart!! She asked us to pray for her 8 year old sister, Victoria, that she would follow Jesus and be like us! Please pray for her to, for the truth to drop from her head into her heart and for her to finally commit her life to Jesus, the one and only Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment